Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Save the Turtles!









Last night, our friend Bill invited us out to watch him release 89 loggerhead turtles. It was an amazing site. Logger heads are extremely common for nesting on the beaches of the Gulf Coast. With two five gallon buckets the turtles were released onto the sand and with a little guidance they found the water. These little guys are just 3- 4 inches long. It was amazing to see these creatures make track marks in the sand, helping the confused ones turn around to find the water, and then all making it into the water. Last year my 4th grade class studied turtles, so this was an amazing site to see. I guess it kind of came full circle for me...and I was wishing they could have all witnessed this site too.




6 comments:

Williamson Fam said...

Oh wow, those were some cool pictures, they were so tiny..

Drew and Tarah said...

what cute lil turtles!!! how fun!

Eddie and Amber said...

That is the coolest thing ever!! What a great experience, I'm jealous!!

Alia Calano said...

How cute! reminds me of finding nemo, i want to save some baby turtles!

Thompson Family said...

That is really so cool! Hope you guys are enjoying Florida. We miss you back here in Texas. Hey Taryn, can you give me your email address..just send it to me at my email at brittanycornelius at hotmail.com

Lil Lancaster Fam said...

How fun that is to cool! The announcement I had done for Seth was done by my sister in law. She is great with that stuff. I don't know how to do it myself.